8.11.2010

Live Painting # 2 at WFC

It has been a couple of weeks since I finished my second live painting at Westside Church. It was July 25, 2010. All proceeds from the auction (I did not get a grand total but I am guessing around $2000) went to an inner city mission organization in KCK.
I didn't get many pictures of this one but the ones I did get were of the paintings I did back stage - something that I overlooked last time. I painted these paintings all in a row: 1 hour for each of them. I chose to do different colors because I really don't enjoy doing something so repetitive as painting the exact same thing all day long.
I searched long and hard for an image I felt would match the topic of Jesus the Teacher. I chose this photo to work from because I wanted to represent the relationship between Jesus and His closest disciples Peter, James and John - who were fishermen by trade.
Matthew 4:18-20 (New International Version)

The Calling of the First Disciples
18As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. 19"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." 20At once they left their nets and followed him.


A lot of preparation went in to doing this. It may look simple but the practice was a full time job! A lot of sketching, trial and error... I am just glad to have accomplished it for the second time in the same month. Pretty much my entire summer went to getting ready for these projects.
I had a lot of hours poured in to planning how to start this 3'x4' creation from a blank canvas. I decided to start out painting the background for the first 30 minutes and then I switched it out with a pre-painted background so that I could work with a dry surface. Then I used the rest of the next half hour filling in the silhouettes and details. I repeated this process using the painted background I had finished in the previous service for the rest of the day.
The result was an image that is very relaxing to look at. I like to imagine that Jesus jumped right in to life with these guys and offered a helping hand. Even after they were called to follow Him the Bible tells of times where they experienced Jesus' miracles on the water... walking on the water, casting their nets and getting so many fish they didn't know what to do, campfires on the beach... I think that the real learning goes on when you experience life with someone who is teaching you through practical ways. I hope to share what I do with others so that the time I spend with people makes an impact for eternity and not only for a fleeting moment.
Jesus set the best example of that when he took these men who the world thought to be mediocre blue collar workers and used them to change the world!
That reminds me of an awesome quote from a song by Matt Maher:
"I met a man who walked on water, who wore his crown like a blue collar..."


3'x4' Acrylic on Canvas
Jesus and the Fishers of Men
$300
If you are interested in owning this piece of hand-painted art, please contact me
(either through the contact tab at the top of the page or Facebook).
I have one painting left to sell!

1 comment:

  1. Beth, that is moving! Seriously moving. I hope you are able to sell it. I might consider something like this in a few months. :)

    ReplyDelete